Sunday, February 03, 2008

So nine and a half foot ceilings are really great....

Until the first time the smoke alarm you just installed up there goes off and you can't reach it by standing on a chair and so you have to run around the house to find the six foot ladder all the while the oven is smoking and ahhh! Good times.

I've had lots to blog about but I find myself Trappd in Flickr lately and unable to communicate outside the venue of photo comments and pool discussion threads. Like blogging, I do enjoy how many good people I've met through that site; in fact I pretty much spent all weekend with friends from Flickr, one event which I'll blog about later (when I get the photos loaded, natch). Viva la intertubes!

Here are some mini-movie reviews:

Sunshine -- A+. It's only science "fiction" because it hasn't happened yet, but the science is so good and original and the storyline so fresh and kind of fucking scary, the whole thing will blow your idea of "good movie" out of the water.

Die Hard -- That's right, the first one, which I finally saw this weekend. Of course I always thought this was the one that happened at Dulles, so I kept thinking, "so when are they all flying back?" Anyway, it was spectacular and 1980's Bruce Willis was way hott. Like I have to tell you.

History of Violence -- Wha? The person who read that screenplay seriously thought, "Sounds like a great idea! It's so ridiculously predictable, but if we cast Very Serious Actors and write a musical score that screams 'Look Out For the Twist!' then people will be fooled into thinking there was a shred of original thought in it!" It's been a long time since I rolled my eyes that many times during a movie. I wish I hadn't sent Die Hard back to netflix already.

So anyway. Did my taxes today. Turns out I won't be getting a big a refund as I thought, but it will be enough to build the fence in the backyard. While digging into deduction land I found out that I can claim a portion of the $1700 insulation job I did in my attic under the Energy Savings Credit (which will no longer be available in 2008, because who cares about energy savings?). Also, I did my taxes by hand at first and discovered I'd be owing Washington, D.C. a whopping $4. I was, however, livid, because 1) the obvious, we don't get shit for our taxes in DC, and they seriously think I should pay more, and 2) I'VE NEVER OWED TAXES EVER. I still think of myself as a broke-ass student who can barely afford Raman (just take out the "student" part now). It freaked me out and I immediately looked up the forms to give my employer to take more taxes out every week. But then I did a little Turbo-Taxing and discovered I would, in fact, be owed a refund. I don't know why, though, which worries me, so I think I'm going to run the numbers through another calculator this week to be sure.

Speaking of which, do any of you guys use a CPA? With the job and the house and the investments I hope to develop in 2008, I think I'm really at or over the cusp of getting more benefits out of a using a professional then I'd lose at having to pay a couple hundred for it. Any recommendations? No, I won't be going to H&R Block.

3 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, February 05, 2008, Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

I actually rented Sunshine from Netflix on the basis of your recommendation, so it better not suck.

I disagree about History of Violence though. It's good. It was a graphic novel, not high literature, but I think it presents an interesting psychological question about nature vs. nurture. Are we who we are because we are born that way, or became that way? Was the protagonist pretending to be a normal diner owner for years, or did he really become that person? Was he also a killer at the same time, or did it lay dormant and get reawakened? Was his son able to to do what he did because it's in his specific genes, or because we all have that capacity for random violence?

 
At 5:08 PM, February 05, 2008, Blogger Heather said...

I didn't know it was a graphic novel, but that makes a lot more sense. If they had taken this whole story one notch out of reality -- used superheros or inserted an element of fantasy that allowed these people to make sense as the caricatures they were, it would have been a totally different movie. But as it was, every single one of those people was totally unbelievable (particularly the romance between the couple) and it completely destroyed any kind of interest I had in the story itself.

Additionally, a slightly fantasy-based story could have gotten away with the "simplistic plot has deeper psychological meaning" then one with seemingly real people, whose lives should be much more complicated but with perhaps not as deep psychological implications for everything they do.

Does that make sense? It does in my head...

 
At 3:17 PM, February 06, 2008, Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

I get what you're saying. Sort of like V for Vendetta, which was also a graphic novel, but the fantasy element involving the suspension of disbelief allows you to focus on the character study more than dwelling on the believability of the characters. (ditto for Sin City).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares