Thursday, February 14, 2008

So, this is what happens to all the High Life when it's drank, right?

About a month ago I was strolling through Second Story Books (love) waiting for a happy hour to begin down the street and allowed myself one book if I could find a good deal. I bought four, naturally (but spent less than $15).

One of the books I got was The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner. I've never read Faulkner, and it was $1, so obviously I had to buy it. (Formerly owned by Nicole Marie of the flowery handwriting, as the inside cover indicates.)

Now, I realize this is a pretty tough book in the best of circumstances, but I'm about 130 pages in and I'm starting to feel like I should be sitting in a chair somewhere drooling on my shirt collar. I'm seriously beginning to rely on the margin notes of a 10th grader over here.

I get that it's stream of conscious, but man, the lack of punctuation is starting to wear me down on my ten minute metro ride home. 300 words in and no commas and my stream of consciousness has moved onto what I'm going to make for dinner. And he actually uses the word fo'c's'le ferchrissakes. (The upper deck of a ship, if yr wondering.)

Here's a pretty good sample of how the entire book so far reads:
Why shouldn't you I want my boys to be more than friends yes Candace and Quentin more than friends Father I have committed what a pity you had no brother or sister No sister no sister had no sister Don't ask Quentin he and Mr Compson both feel a little insulted when I am strong enough to come down to the table I am going on nerve now I'll pay for it after it's all over and you have taken my little daughter away from me My little sister had no. If I could say Mother. Mother
And that's actually a pretty lucid paragraph. On the other hand, it's a pretty fast read since there's nothing to stop me. I hope there's not a brick wall at the end. (On the last page is an exclamation point!)

5 Comments:

At 11:46 PM, February 14, 2008, Blogger christian said...

love it. let me read it when youre done?

have you read my blog entries? thats how i write when im on a roll.

:D

GIMME!

 
At 11:48 PM, February 14, 2008, Blogger christian said...

like, for serious.


http://nonsensicanimality.blogspot.com/2006/03/life-analysis-part-1.html#links

 
At 12:26 AM, February 15, 2008, OpenID quincentupled said...

The best thing about Faulkner is that everything after him just seems a whole lot clearer.

I remember writing a paper in college about Cormac McCarthy. I wanted to write about his sometimes difficult-to-grasp style of writing dialogue. But the best that I could do was, "well, at least it's not Faulkner."

Keep up the good fight.

- Aaron

 
At 12:32 AM, February 15, 2008, Anonymous Matt F said...

The Benjy chapter is a little hard to follow, but Quentin's chapter is incredibly sad and moving. It all makes a lot more sense if you read it through a second time after you've finished it.

 
At 11:42 AM, February 15, 2008, Blogger The Governess said...

you can borrow a term paper i wrote on it as a seventeen year old, if you want to be enlightened. i mean even more thoroughly confused. i mean weepy for our country's public school systems.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares